Losing weight is no picnic. Literally! And it can be especially difficult when you feel like you’re depriving yourself of so many foods that you love. Luckily, there are a few additions you can make to your diet that will boost your weight loss potential so that you can squeeze in a cookie here or a few chips there, without totally derailing your progress. So here’s the skinny on some super foods that will help you shed those unwanted pounds.
1. Eggs. Many dieters are wary of eggs because they fear high cholesterol. But when paired with a healthy diet, eggs actually provide you with a ton of benefits, one of them being increased potential for weight loss. And you don’t want to miss out on the yolks, either, since they house the majority of nutrients. What makes eggs a super food when it comes to weight loss is that they are a filling way to start the day. Packed with slow-burning protein, they will help to keep you feeling full longer. And if you pair them with veggies (omelet anyone?) you can also pack your breakfast with nutrients and get a little fiber in the mix.
2. Steel-cut oats. Okay, the idea of oatmeal may have you picturing bowls of gray glop that your dad made on cold mornings when you were a kid. But if you’re missing your breakfast cereal and longing for something hot in the morning, steel-cut oats should definitely be a contender. All you need to do is add a little low-fat milk and some fruit for a well-rounded breakfast that is rich in vitamins and even a little protein, not to mention a lot of flavor. In addition, you can add oats to a variety of recipes. For example, use them in place of bread crumbs for your meatloaf, or add them liberally to cookie recipes to lower the calorie count per serving. Like eggs, oats can extend the sensation of fullness, and thanks to steel cutting techniques you’ll get all the nutrients that have been stripped away from the rolled variety. In fact, any whole grain can provide similar benefits.
3. Wild salmon. You might have heard that this fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which help to keep your heart healthy, your brain functioning, and every cell in your body in good repair. In addition, this substance, along with the lean protein found in fish, helps to reduce fat and increase muscle. And don’t worry about gaining weight. Muscle burns more calories than fat and you’ll find that adding this fish to your diet will help you to drop the pounds faster.
4. Blueberries. Some dieters fear the sugar in fruit, but nobody ever got fat eating fruit. The natural sugars found here can actually help to satisfy your sweet tooth so that you stay away from high-calorie candy and other sources of processed sugar. But blueberries in particular also deliver a wallop of antioxidants as well as plenty of fiber to help keep your digestive system free of debris.
5. Almond butter. You probably know that almonds are a great snack for dieting, but natural almond butter (no sugar added) can help you to get over your cravings for that other nut butter (the peanut variety) that’s packed with fats and sugar.
When you add the foods on this list to your diet, you can have the flavor you crave and still stay on track with your weight loss goals. Enjoy!